Microtonal uses

Hi, I am interested in microtonal applications of the controller. Is it possible to remap the notes of the pads within the software for non 12 tone systems? Much like you can with the Sensel/lumatone apps or other isomorphic layout controllers

1 « J'aime »

It is not currently possible to customise scales, although I think that the manufacturer is considering implementing this.

The Exquis is a controller device that sends MIDI Note messages. For microtonal music, the sound source that receives those Note messages would need to interpret them appropriately.

1 « J'aime »

…yes, time to dig into Scala etc… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 « J'aime »

Have you tried software which supports MTS-ESP? In my experience, it’s the most efficient way to play with diverse tuning systems.
It’s unlikely that the Exquis will ever support microtonality/microtuning. However, when I use Entonal Studio (or Wilsonic, etc.) with Surge, u-he synths, or MPE synths, I’m able to play in any tuning I want and the isomorphic layout works quite well.

1 « J'aime »

Not a feature of the Exquis App right now, would be a feature request of mine, too.

However, all sounds that the Exquis App uses are Surge XT Patches, and Surge XT does support custom tunings. Thus you can play all Exquis presets and much more with custom tunings from the Exquis device. Not through the Exquis App, though, so you won’t be able to use the other App features with custom tunings.

To play the Exquis sounds with custom tunings, download the Surge XT Patches for the Exquis sounds that dualo provides on their website, and copy them into the Surge XT Third Party Patches folder. Then the patches appear in the Surge XT menu. You can load your custom tunings (e.g. Scala files) from the Tunings menu in Surge XT. Also you probably want to set the Pitch Bend Range to 1 Semitone, which is the default in the Exquis App.

Hello! Author of Entonal Studio here. I’ve been working on custom mappings for different controllers (Novation Launchpad is mostly complete). I’d love to support the Exquis. At the least being able to control note colours via MIDI, being able to control note layout would be ideal.

1 « J'aime »