Interested in purchasing Exquis for live performance use. Have some n00b questions

Hello! I’m a live looping solo performer and came across the Exquis when I was doing an internet search for handheld multi-instrumental synths. Given its size and versatility, the Exquis seems like it would be great for live performance use. I’m new to midi controllers and have some questions that I haven’t found answers to yet…

Can the Exquis be preprogrammed to switch between different tones / instrumental kits so that I won’t need a connection to an app/laptop during live play? If so, how many pre-programmed sound kits can I switch between without app connection?

I perform with a BOSS RC-600 for looping in acoustic ukulele. The RC-600 has midi input. Would the Exquis output sound via midi connection or are there other connection options for sound output, like some type of connection that goes out from the Exquis into a 1/4" cable input?

Is there a vid link that demos the different sound kits available for the Exquis?

Edit: Does the Exquis have onboard audio output or does it need an interface to output audio?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

It’s just a controller, it doesn’t make sound.

2 « J'aime »

Indeed the keyboard itself is a controller: it means that it sends note information: velocity, and X Y Z axis independently per key (« MPE »)

You need to use it with a software on your computer (our app or any other DAW, sound plugin,…), a hardware synth or a modular synth.

Our app comes with a few hundred sounds designed on SurgeXT (an open-source MPE synth), and a few drumkits on Speedrum Lite. More sounds and drumkits are coming with the V2.0 of the app by the end of summer btw.

The key live performing perk of the keyboard when used with our app is that you don’t need to use your mouse, and can do all actions directly from the controller: selecting sounds, recording loops, launching snaps (configs of your song). You can see everything it can do so far on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirt4TrJT-A

To answer your question pragmatically, if you use Exquis with a synth or an app (not necessarily ours) on any device, you can use another audio input of your loopstation.

I am very not sure of RC-600 abilities, but I think the MIDI input of your RC is here for clock sync (to sync its internal tempo with other devices), maybe even to launch basic actions (record, play/stop,…) or even to control effects from another device (CC controls).

1 « J'aime »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I fell down a rabbit hole of researching stand alone groove boxes.

Speaking of which, how much feature functionality does the Exquis retain as a midi controller when being plugged into a stand alone groove box like the Yamaha Seqtrack?

Edit: and OP-1 Field

For example, is the lighting of tiles per scale specifically a software feature? Do the functions for knobs and sliders need to be assigned or do they retain their default function?

Thank you for being patient with my questions!

When used in standalone you only don’t have the buttons at the bottom for composing on our app (to select sounds, record loops and manage what is running),

You still have the settings buttons for :

• the scales selector and the note layout editor (soon it will be a « favorite » scales and layout selector, favorites you decide to store in memory from the app)
  • arpeggiator (slider): its pattern, rate, and tempo
  • MPE/polyaftertouch mode selection and their channels
  • Pitchbend range
  • X/Y axis swap and inversion (useful especially if you use Exquis horizontally)

and the play/stop button to send the MIDI clock

The other buttons and the encoders send regular CC messages.

Have a look at the PDF user guide if you want